Community Call - rOpenSci Software Review and Onboarding
Are you thinking about submitting a package to rOpenSci’s open peer software review? Considering volunteering to review for the first time? Maybe you’re an experienced package author or reviewer and have ideas about how we can improve.
Join our Community Call on Wednesday, September 13th. We want to get your feedback and we’d love to answer your questions!
- Welcome (Stefanie Butland, rOpenSci Community Manager, 5 min)
- guest: Noam Ross, editor (15 min) Noam will give an overview of the rOpenSci software review and onboarding, highlighting the role editors play and how decisions are made about policies and changes to the process.
- guest: Andee Kaplan, reviewer (15 min) Andee will give her perspective as a package reviewer, sharing specifics about her workflow and her motivation for doing this.
- Q & A (25 min, moderated by Noam Ross)
Andee Kaplan is a Postdoctoral Fellow at Duke University. She is a recent PhD graduate from the Iowa State University Department of Statistics, where she learned a lot about R and reproducibility by developing a class on data stewardship for Agronomists. Andee has reviewed multiple (two!) packages for rOpenSci,
getlandsat, and hopes to one day be on the receiving end of the review process.
Noam Ross is one of rOpenSci’s four editors for software peer review. Noam is a Senior Research Scientist at EcoHealth Alliance in New York, specializing in mathematical modeling of disease outbreaks, as well as training and standards for data science and reproducibility. Noam earned his Ph.D. in Ecology from the University of California-Davis, where he founded the Davis R Users’ Group.
- How rOpenSci uses Code Review to Promote Reproducible Science; blog post Aug 11, 2017
- The what, why and how of rOpenSci open peer review and onboarding; guidelines
- rOpenSci software reviews in progress and completed
- rOpenSci onboarded packages
- Read on our blog one of ten guest posts (to date) by authors of onboarded packages
- So you (don’t) think you can review a package; guest blog post by first-time reviewer Mara Averick, Aug 22, 2017
- Onboarding at rOpenSci: A Year in Reviews; blog post Mar 28, 2016
- Soon after the Community Call, we’ll post the video